Granted, this is not the greatest achievement I've announced, but it is another step to calling the site finished! The event listings and even some of this blog will now be automagically posted to Facebook and Twitter. I did have some troubles getting Faceplant to post the images correctly, but I think I have it sussed out.
Now the rest of the plan is tedius and arduous. The main basic framework is in place. Most of the additional systems are in place. Everything is working fine and there have been no fires yet. The next steps to making the site fully operational are the fun bits. Granted, they take longer as the former site took just under three moths to have it fully tweaked, tested and tuned. I am off to a good start as the self-imposed deadline is to have it ready by the beginning of the St. Louis Car Show & Cruise Season around the end of March.
The event calendar is, for all intents and purposes, done. The only unknown element that will need testing is how everything displays once dates get added. I cannot test that until dates get added. So send in those fliers! The display of event coverage is also complete. Much like the calendar, further tweaking is needed. This also requires some to happen first. This section's image handling is operational, but these posts have no need for images. It is all info. I suppose I could fill them with something but this is not exactly what motorheads want to see- let alone read.
It Finally Happened!
I've been threatening to do this since 2012. I had even created a new logo for the big swap! Each time I wanted to make the change, I always had an excuse. Some were better than others, I suppose, but it at least sounded good at the time. Looking back, they were all feeble with one exception- my confidence was lacking. In late 2010, I attempted to revamp the site. I ended up breaking it and losing virtually all the work I had done. Fortunately, I had all the imagery on my computer, but I had to redo it all manually. This time, I did not wish to repeat the horror.
It took a simple phone call to a fellow geek who had one quick simple answer for me. It was a plainly simple solution. I took his advice and recommendations and voila! the new site is borne!
My former intent was to change everything from the design to the very way images were displayed and organized. For this new iteration, the intent was strictly upgrading. I would leave just about everything right where it was and exactly how it looked. The past version was an old, old version of the content management system. It was not very secure and they no longer support it. Nor would they continue to produce fixes for it. Sadly, upgrading to the very latest version (since I'd skipped many upgrades prior) was not at all practical or easy. All that was suggested by the geek was to back it up, move it in its own secluded area on the server and plop the new version in its place. Now Area Rides is going to be on the new, shiny and- most importantly- a secure system.
Nothing big to report right now.
There are a few other projects that require my attention, but all is not forgotten. There is plenty of time to get the site fully operational before the car show season begins. There have been a few thing changed since the last update.